Internal medicine is a specialty unit at WAVES equipped with one of the only board-certified internal medicine specialists on Vancouver Island. The internal medicine department is trained to manage pets with complicated conditions that often involve chronic illnesses.
With the aid of advanced diagnostic procedures, all implemented in a fully digital facility, our internal medicine specialists can effectively diagnose your pets’ internal ailments.
How will an internal medicine specialist help my pet?
Most illnesses can go unnoticed, as symptoms are often delayed or too minute to be tied to disease. Internal medicine specialists are expertly trained to conduct thorough physical exams, investigate through diagnostic procedures and find causation between symptoms and results of the diagnostic exams. They are trained to effectively diagnose illnesses in your furry companion and build treatment plans for acute illnesses such as heart and respiratory conditions, cancers, as well as diseases affecting internal organs and more fatal illnesses.
What kind of pet illnesses does the internal medicine department handle?
The internal medicine department is trained to deal with diseases and conditions including, but not limited to:
- Endocrinology (glands and their function)
- Gastroenterology (diseases of the digestive organs)
- Urology (the study of urinary functions and genitourinary tract)
- Immunology and Hematology (disorders of the immune system, bone marrow, and blood)
- Pulmonary Disorders (diseases of the lungs)
- Hepatobiliary conditions (diseases of the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas)