Stray & Injured Animals

Sometimes, a beloved pet can accidentally become lost, or worse, injured. What do you do when you come across an stray animal?

If you find an stray in the Capital Regional District (everything south of Aspen Road on the Malahat), please contact the CRD to the following numbers to guide you in what you should do. Many times, if an animal is injured, you will be directed to take the pet to either WAVES or Central Victoria Veterinary Hospital (CVVH), depending on your location. If an animal is not injured, one of the below organizations will advise you of the next steps to reunite them with their owner.

*Please note that WAVES is only able to take in injured stray animals.

  • Victoria/Oak Bay/Esquimalt: Victoria Animal Control 250-414-0233 (after hours calls are forwarded to an officer on duty) 
  • Sidney/Central Saanich/North Saanich/Colwood/View Royal/Langford/Metchosin/Highlands/Sooke/South Gulf Islands/Salt Spring Island: CRD 250-478-0624, after hours line 1-800-884-0919
  • After hours phone number for Victoria/Westshore is 1-833-931-3585.

Outside of the CRD/Greater Victoria Area? Please contact one of the below organizations:

  • Mill Bay/Duncan: Coastal Animal Control 250-748-3395 (*please note, they do not handle cats) 
  • Nanaimo/Comox Valley: SPCA Nanaimo 250-741-0778

Wildlife: Please contact Wild Arc directly.